Re: [Chicken-users] Solaris 8 tcp.scm matter, and CCAN

From: felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Solaris 8 tcp.scm matter, and CCAN
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 22:48:04 +0100

William Annis wrote:

        I should mention that I've had some problems with solaris-gcc
3.2.1 compiling chicken.  I had to revert to an older gcc to compile.
With 3.2.1, it barfs out here:

/bin/bash ./libtool --mode=link gcc  -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -DHAVE_ALLOCA_H
-fstrict-aliasing    -o libchicken.la -rpath /u/annis/local/lib
-version-info=0:0:0 -no-undefined runtime.lo library.lo eval.lo syntax-case.lo
modules.lo profiler.lo  -lm -ldl -lm
rm -fr .libs/libchicken.la .libs/libchicken.* .libs/libchicken.*
/usr/ccs/bin/ld -G -z defs -h libchicken.so.0 -o .libs/libchicken.so.0.0.0 runtime.lo library.lo eval.lo syntax-case.lo modules.lo profiler.lo -lm -ldl -lm -lc Undefined first referenced
C_toplevel                          runtime.lo
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to
.libs/libchicken.so.0.0.0
make[1]: *** [libchicken.la] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/u/u01/a/annis/local/src/chicken-0.1082'
make: *** [all] Error 2

When I use gcc2.95.2, everything compiles fine.  I've not yet had any
time to dig into this curiosity.

Urgh. Well, the reorganization of the library stuff (which Jonah is currently
doing) might definitely help here.

Sorry, I haven't got an answer to that, yet.

 >It already works (as far as I have tested it). I've just cleaned up
 >the output of the setup-code and I plan to put a little selection of
 >extensions on call/cc.org, Real Soon Now.

        Cooler yet.  I'll be creating some libraries for Unixy sorts
of things as I work with chicken more.  A few network protocol
libraries would be handy, too, such as basic FTP and SMTP tools, since
I regularly write programs that send me email or shuffle files about.

Wow, that would be cool! I have only a few eggs ready yet, but enough
to start a collection, anyway ;-):

regex-case       - the regex-case macro that used to be in Chicken
define-datatype  - from the EOPL book
tcp              - them sockets
base64           - base64 strings
http             - a *very* basic HTTP client/server library
awk + make       - both stolen from PLT, in turn stolen from Scsh

I will make them available, as soon as the new release is out, and
when I have prepared some HTML for an "Egg" repository.

Call for assistance:

"Egg's Unlimited" might be a worthy title. Or is it too silly?

And: can someone provide an image of an egg with a lambda?

;-)

[Hm, I think I'm overstressing the "egg" thing a little...]

        Although this makes me wonder about how to approach these.
OOP?  Something else?  I detest using OO for the sake of OO, although
that seems to mesh reasonably well with this sort of programming.  At
any rate, a consistent approach seems best.

        So, what to people think?  Network protocols via OOP, or via
functions called on handles?

If you intend to provide a collection of related extensions that might
share a common interface, OOP might be a good option. Personally I
prefer handler procedures, but mostly out of rather subjective
"efficiency" concerns (which not necessarily reflect real
performance ;-). TinyCLOS (if you intend to use that) is not
exactly superfast, but *very* flexible, and if performance is not
of utmost importance, I think it is a viable alternative.