Re: [Chicken-users] SRFIs 34, 35 and 36

From: Felix Winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] SRFIs 34, 35 and 36
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 09:00:46 +0100

Joerg F. Wittenberger wrote:

>To be frank, I don't particularly like SRFI-34. The semantics of `raise'
>are (IMHO) unnecessarily complicated, and

Could you please expand a little what the compliaction is?  It could
be that I failed to see things.

The `guard' form is specified in such a way that the exception
is re-raised (risen?) when no clause applies, in the same dynamic
environment /but with the exception-handler of the guard form/.
I'm not particularly sure how this should be done, and I find the
reference implementation rather confusing. But perhaps we can
handle it in a more low-level way.
Another point is that the difference between SRFI-18 raise and the
one in SRFI-34 has not been completely settled, yet (If I understand
the discussion on the SRFI-34 mailing list correctly), apparently
a compatibility comment has been removed after that issue - so it
looks like their incompatible.
It's not that I'm completely opposed to SRFI-34/35/36. It's certainly
better than nothing.

I will extend the current exception system to provide a more
find-grained hierarchy of exception kinds than we have currently.
Perhaps we can devise a convenient `case'-like macro that dispatches
on contition types.

>the whole idea of condition-type defining macros a la ML is not my
>idea of the "Scheme Way" (of which exist about as many as Scheme
>implementors ;-).

       Well, I don't particularly care which one is available, though
I favor accepted standards by instinct when I have nothing else to go
on.  I just want more flexibility in error handling and reporting than
dynamic-wind offers.

Same here.

Agreed.

address@hidden