Re: OT: Re: [Chicken-users] rails-like framework

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: OT: Re: [Chicken-users] rails-like framework
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 17:09:09 +0200

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 04:21:02PM +0200, J?rg F. Wittenberger wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> who are interested in a decent web programming framework in Scheme.
>
> We've been spending quite a while on such a thing and I'm simply not the
> person to brag about my part of work (which has been too much), maybe
> that's the reason it makes me sad  watching you people here calling for
> it in *chicken*.  That makes my posting off topic.  But I can't resist,
> since you really don't know what you are missing right next door:
>
> There's a web programming framework in rscheme.  I've been close to a
> chicken port once.  And I'm longing for it, since I hope we could
> eventually leverage the larger user base to fasten development instead
> of working almost like proprietary developers, though we've been open
> source from the very beginning.  (To be fair: for the initial
> development, a bazar style would not have been helpful, so we did not
> try.)

I've taken a look at the Askemos webpage and read your description a
number of times, but I can't really grasp *what* Askemos is exactly.
Is it an operating system, a language, a web development framework, a
system to make concurrent programming reliable or a system that makes
it easy to use a number of redundant servers?  Or is it all of these
things?

I'm sorry if I sound stupid and I don't mean to insult, but I really
don't understand what Askemos does.  I think I speak for everyone here
if I say that we want a system that is *easy* to hack.  It should be
simple and lightweight, just like Chicken itself.  What makes Scheme
interesting is that it's small enough to fit in your head and
nevertheless is powerful enough to do anything you want.  A web
framework in Scheme should have the same qualities.

Regards,
Peter
--
http://www.student.ru.nl/peter.bex