Re: [Chicken-users] CMake cygwin can't do -0

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] CMake cygwin can't do -0
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 10:49:06 -0700

John Cowan wrote:
Brandon J. Van Every scripsit:

Another possibility is my Windows 2000 SP4 + Platform SDK + environment
+ paths has something useful in it that your system doesn't have.  What
Windows are you using?  I wonder if there are any Cygwin symlink bugs on
your system.

I'm using Windows XP SP2, no MinGW, no Platform SDK.

I'm in the process of drastically minimizing my environment, so that my MSVC, MinGW, and Cygwin environments have no unintended tools overlap.

I wish I knew which was more consequential, a symlink or a rename.  Both
could be problematic.

The fact is that when I remove your symbolic links and rename the
underlying files by hand, everything works fine.  And when I patch lines
1119 and 1122 of CMakeLists.txt to say "copy" instead of "create_symlink",
everything works fine.  (I didn't bother adding a "remove", as the extra
files are harmless.)  But when I don't do these things, "csi -R srfi-1"
doesn't work.  And that is just as true whether I run cmake or ccmake;
the process is doing the same thing in either case.

Try it my way on your system.  If it works for you and it works for me,
that sounds good to me.

If symlinks are supposed to work on your system, but don't, then I want to know why.  If symlinks aren't supposed to work on my system, but do, I want to know why.  Open source is about giving the right bug report to someone.  Perhaps your method will prove to be a workaround for a symlink bug.  If so, we'll use it, but it'll be marked as a workaround, to be changed or removed when things get better.

I have a sinking feeling that all these approaches are going to prove to be wrong in the long run.  That really, getting down to the level of ld is what's needed.

I'm also sending you the patch with "darcs send".

Do you mean, you're sending it to the Chicken repository?  That wouldn't be very useful to me.  I don't put things into the Chicken repository until I've vetted them locally in my own repository.  I'm not very familiar with "darcs send."  If you can send it as an e-mail to me, I'll figure out how it works.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every