Re: [Chicken-users] CMake cygwin can't do -0

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] CMake cygwin can't do -0
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 01:13:38 -0700

John Cowan wrote:
Brandon J. Van Every scripsit:

and please also build Cygwin from scratch in an
empty directory using CCMake.

It was empty, although I use "cmake ../darcs" to access my local darcs repository
rather than using CCMake (hard to script, CCMake is).

I can't account for build behavior with plain cmake, sans ccmake.  I never build that way.  Using straight cmake to start with is not Kitware's intended method of operation.  It is not really intended to be a straight command line tool and doesn't get nearly as much testing along those paths.  I don't know of any specific reason why this would or should interfere with the build, but who knows.

Hm, this also makes me wonder if you have more than one CMake living on your system.  I have both a Windows native CMake installed in E:\Program Files\CMake, and a Cygwin CMake installed in E:\cygwin\bin.  Now when one uses either CMakeSetup or CCMake, the correctly corresponding cmake is always invoked.  But if you just run a cmake from the command line, perhaps your paths run the wrong cmake?

Anyways please build with CCMake for now.  If the bug proves to be due to other reasons, then we can start assuming that straight cmake doesn't matter, but for now I'm not confident in that assumption.

As I said, when I do "csi -R srfi-1" I don't get any problems.

Still the same thing.

I assume you do this from a Cygwin shell, yes?  Just sanity checking.

The problem arises from this hunk:

I'm not convinced the hunk is to blame.

Note that you are doing create_symlink.  By my reading of the situation,
you need to be doing copy followed by remove.

Since it works on my system, our systems are clearly different.  Are all your Cygwin installations recent?  I grabbed the latest greatest 1..2 months ago, and I unwittingly just updated various tools while downloading CMake 2.4.3.  In particular here's my GCC:

Brandon J. Van address@hidden ~
$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.4.4 (cygming special) (gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO

  Remember that symlinks are
interpreted by Cygwin's library, so Windows (which is doing the dynamic

Another possibility is my Windows 2000 SP4 + Platform SDK + environment + paths has something useful in it that your system doesn't have.  What Windows are you using?  I wonder if there are any Cygwin symlink bugs on your system.

I wish I knew which was more consequential, a symlink or a rename.  Both could be problematic.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every