Re: [Chicken-users] Statically linkable eggs request

From: Peter Wright
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Statically linkable eggs request
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:13:59 +0900

On 20/11 10:49:09, Ivan Raikov wrote:
> Like Thomas Chust pointed out, ranlib on Mac OS X doesn't like being
> run on object files.

As far as I'd always understood, ranlib shouldn't be run on plain .o
object files at all - it should be used on libblah.a archives.

I've hardly ever used it though, I don't know if it's actually
necessary... Oh, I see now (from the GNU ranlib manpage):

  The GNU ranlib program is another form of GNU ar; running ranlib is
  completely equivalent to executing ar -s.

So it's probably appropriate for static libraries on non-GNU-binutils
platforms (and the Mac OS X binutils are FreeBSD-style, right?) - but
in any case shouldn't be used on .o files.

> So you get errors like in the transcript below.
> I don't know if this is easy to fix, and I don't have any use for
> static linking, so I would much prefer that there is an option in
> chicken-setup that disables static libraries altogether.

Ah well, I see Felix has now replied that it Shouldn't Be Doing
That(tm), and I'm quite prepared to take his word for it. :)

>   chmod a+r /opt/local/lib/chicken/1x/numbers-static.o
>   ranlib /opt/local/lib/chicken/1x/numbers-static.o
> ranlib: file: /opt/local/lib/chicken/1x/numbers-static.o is not an archive

Pete.
--
DWIM - Do What I Meant. It describes Perl's sometimes uncanny ability
to do what you actually meant to do rather than what you thought you