Re: [Chicken-users] Re: A few questions

From: Elf
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: A few questions
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:34:55 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, John Cowan wrote:

Elf scripsit:

i take the number of srfi's relating to binding (values ...) clauses in
different ways as evidence of its confusing and unnecessary nature. :)

Whereas I think of TMTOWTDI as one of Scheme's virtues.  Anyhow, we've

i would agree, on the whole.  however, this much duplication for exactly
identical attempted functionality is a bit odd.

come a long way from being required to use call-values.  It also occurs
to me that rec and let-values and all need not expand into call-values --
that's just the *portable* expansion of them.

they'll all be call-with-values on the inside, or the equivalent thereof.
receive is call-with-values without the keyword 'lambda':
(receive (vars ...) generator consumer) ->
call-with-values (lambda () generator) (lambda (vars...) consumer)) let-values, same thing. theyre all just different ways of deleting the
word lambda from call-with-values but retaining the rest of the structure
in random orders (hence my ongoing confusion).  how would one implement
this efficiently without using call-with-values?

-elf