[Chicken-users] opengl egg does not appear to compile under Chicken 3.0.

From: Drake Wilson
Subject: [Chicken-users] opengl egg does not appear to compile under Chicken 3.0.0
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 12:08:22 -0600

I just installed a fresh Chicken 3.0.0 into /usr/local on my Debian
GNU/Linux amd64 box.  One [sudo chicken-setup opengl] later, it
appears to have pulled in the silex and easyffi eggs just fine, but
then:

  /usr/local/bin/csc -feature compiling-extension gl.scm -s -O2 -d0 -L
"-L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/X11/lib -lGL -LX11"
*** Shell command terminated with exit status 1: /usr/local/bin/chicken gl.scm
-output-file gl.c -dynamic -feature chicken-compile-shared -quiet -feature
compiling-extension -optimize-level 2 -debug-level 0
make: Failed to make gl.so: shell invocation failed with non-zero return status
Error: shell invocation failed with non-zero return status
"/usr/local/bin/csc -feature compiling-extension gl.scm -s -O2 -d0 -L
\"-L/usr/...
256

This doesn't seem helpful at all; there's no original error message
that I can detect, just a set of cascades saying "oops, the stuff I
invoked failed".  That appears to rather impede debugging the problem
locally, since I have no idea what's wrong.  I have the OpenGL
development files installed, as far as I know; if I compile an
ordinary C program that uses OpenGL (via an #include <GL/gl.h>
declaration, which is the same as what gl.scm appears to be using), it
works just fine, with a very similar set of linker flags to the one
that appears in the command line above.

I searched the chicken-users list archive and the Web in general for
problems with the Chicken opengl egg in recent versions, but I
couldn't seem to find anything, so I'm posting here.  Am I doing
something ridiculous, or is this actually a problem with the latest
Chicken or with the opengl egg?

FWIW, I had the outdated Debian package of Chicken 2.5 before, and the
opengl egg wouldn't obviously compile under that either, but I assumed
that was due to version skew, since 2.5 turned out to be horribly out
of date.  (The error was different; unfortunately I didn't make a good
record of it.)

   ---> Drake Wilson