Re: [Chicken-users] Re: Chicken release policy

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: Chicken release policy
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:13:22 +0100

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 07:43:48AM +0300, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
> You still don't get it.  The whole point is to have distributed files
> _properly_
> labelled, the existance of two distributed bundles with the same name
> "chicken-x.y.z.tar.gz" should be avoided. User should be free from dealing
> with policies manually, it is up to policy to make him free and safe to choose
> the same download directory for releases, either stable or unstable ones.
>
> Because that is the natural way, user expects this behaviour, and it isn't
> a good way to enforce user reading release policy, if the only thing he wants
> is to check, whether some bug is fixed in later development snapshot.

I'm still not entirely convinced this matters.  However, it's pretty trivial
to append a date to the snapshot tarballs, so why don't we just do that?

If you download chicken-3.0.1.tar.gz you get the release, and if you
download chicken-3.0.1-20080313.tar.gz you get the chicken release snapshot
of 3.0.1 made on March 13th, 2008.  That way it's not necessary to update
the version just because a release was made of one particular version.

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx