Re: [Chicken-users] Please do not drop 'thread-terminate!' from the SRFI

From: Vincent Manis
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Please do not drop 'thread-terminate!' from the SRFI 18 impl
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 07:04:20 -0700

On 2008-Aug-9, at 04:23, Jörg F. Wittenberger wrote:

If the postulated programmer had just found mygreatprogram on the net
and want's to run it, is it a good thing for said programmer to find
chicken unable to run it until a patch is applied?

And what mygreatprogram is written in R6RS Scheme?

Anyway, while I really prefer terminating thread-terminate!, I would be happy with a strong warning in the manual. This allows mygreatprogram to run on Chicken (though perhaps crashing occasionally, as it does on other Scheme implementations, because of a design where threads were terminated prematurely), while still letting programmers know that it shouldn't be used. (Think of thread- terminate! as being like gets in the Standard C library: everybody knows you shouldn't use it, but it's left in the library for compatibility with programs written 30 years ago.) This warning is far too weak in the SRFI, so the manual is the obvious place to document it.

And with that, I shall shut up on this matter. :-)

-- v