Re: [Chicken-users] Re: [ANN] New egg: Object-relation mapper Pandora

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: [ANN] New egg: Object-relation mapper Pandora
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 19:39:54 +0200

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 06:24:27PM +0200, Thomas Chust wrote:
> Hello,
>
> some visible improvements have been committed:
>
> * The dependencies on database library eggs are now all optional. To
> load the database specific backends for Pandora, the bindings to the
> database engines still have to be installed, of course, but not to
> compile them.

Very cool!  I like how this works.  I didn't know Chicken would only
issue a warning when a library is missing.  For some reason I thought
it would throw an error and fail.

> SQLite3 is also required to run Pandora's tests.
>
> * A complete usage example has been added to the documentation.

Excellent!  This clears up a lot of confusion for me.

A few more comments:

Why not make the parameters argument to the 'execute message optional?
It can default to the empty list.  This would make for less typing.

The *.import.scm files can be deleted from version control.  Your setup
file already generates them with the -j switch, which means they are
overwritten every time pandora is compiled.  It would make the download
smaller and svn/bzr diffs less cluttered.

I think the html and egg.jpg files can also be removed from version
control; the egg image is available in the directory which holds all the
documentation html files.  This way, every egg does not need to have
the same copy of the same file (and the file can be replaced easily in
one spot). The html file is supposed to be auto-generated by Henrietta,
the CGI program that chicken-install uses to download eggs.
The (eggdoc "doc.scm") form in pandora.meta tells it to do so.

Finally, why do you have a Makefile in your tree?  chicken-install
can install the egg using the .setup file, there's no need for this
build recipe duplication.  Having a Makefile generate the setup file
is weird!

I hope my nitpicking isn't too annoying ;)

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx