[cks-devl] Re: cks

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: [cks-devl] Re: cks
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 20:08:26 +0200

V Alex Brennen <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>
>> Would you accept patches that implements OpenPGP key distribution via
>> DNS?  What do you think of this approach?  I haven't looked at CKS,
>> but I'm thinking about the writing some of this at some point in time.
>
> What do you mean via DNS?  You mean locking each node down to a
> specific TLD and refering request through them?

That, but also a kind of DNS "hosting" of OpenPGP keys.

Consider e.g. finding key of user id 0x5C980097 by looking up
(0x5C980097.keyserver.cryptnet.net, IN, CERT).  One benefit from this
is that by simply adding NS's for that DNS zone, you get server
fail-over without clients having to enter more than the
"keyserver.cryptnet.net" string.  Clients also often selects the
closest server by measuring RTTs so you get better response times and
better server loads.