classpath-inetlib

RE: [Classpath-inetlib] IMAPConnection(SocketFactory, String host, int p

From: Daniel Harvey
Subject: RE: [Classpath-inetlib] IMAPConnection(SocketFactory, String host, int port, ..)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:38:02 -0700

Nearly every email program I've seen allows imap over ssl,
independent of STARTTLS, and have a checkbox (or mode)
explicitely for that.

Eudora, Netscape, OE, Outlook, Thunderbird, Mutt,
 <complete this vast list yourself if you want to>.

The kludge around this is to force the 'new Socket' call
in IMAPConnection to return an SSLSocket.  This can be done
now by calling SocketFactory.setDefault(SSLSocket) near the
beginning of your program.

However, setDefault() can only be called once and you can't
set it back.  All Sockets will be SSLSocket from then on.

Of course IMAP-SSL isn't a "standard" or "rfc".  Being a Layer,
nearly anything can run transparently on top of SSL.

Chris - I really don't see what your objection is.  I'm just
asking for IMAPConnection to retrieve its socket in a more
general way.  Inetlib will read/write to that socket in exactly
the same way, in all cases.