Re: Classpath future?

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: Classpath future?
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 19:40:04 +0100

>>> "Etienne M. Gagnon" <address@hidden> 12-Jul-01 7:11:18 PM

   It is my impression that by now, most people on
   this list, agree that this issue should be resolved
   simply keeping 2 separate native branches,
   one for JNI, and one for CNI.  Remains to decide
   if we want to put some rules on the synchronization
   of both trees.  Right?

My view is that there should be an "example native" which is actually
the japhar native and is built using JNI.  Other natives (eg: GCJ,
Kaffe) should be supplied by the VM vendor (though they maybe
distributed with Classpath)

The process of building the "native" for your platform is by an
autoconf parameter.

I think it should be this way because VMs other than GCJ might want
to implement some of the native stuff in there own way, Kaffe for
example uses it's own native protocol (which is handled by kaffeh) and
some of their native code has to be specific to them.

How much of the Classpath "example native" to use in a VM is down to
the VM vendor.

Nic