Re: Classpath building (was re: Classpath future?)

From: Aaron M. Renn
Subject: Re: Classpath building (was re: Classpath future?)
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 13:43:30 -0500

Nic Ferrier (address@hidden) wrote:
>    Personally, I would be ready to help restructuring a
>    few things.  I am already doing to simplify SableVM's
>    users life.
>
> As far as I can see Classpath's build system is unnecessarily complex
> and I think this is the first thing that needs to be done.
>
> It could just do this:

If only life were that simple.  Perhaps there has been some advancement
in compiler technology since we set things up originally, but there are a
huge number of problems with trying to compile classpath without
depending on an already existing Java library installation.  There are
too many classes to simply pipe them all into the compiler on the
command line.  Brian, comments?

--
Aaron M. Renn (address@hidden) http://www.urbanophile.com/arenn/