Re: GNU Copyright Assignment

From: Paul Fisher
Subject: Re: GNU Copyright Assignment
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 15:14:12 -0700

Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> writes:

> Does anybody know who handles the copyright assignment at the FSF?

I handle assignment paperwork for Classpath in conjunction with
<address@hidden> at the FSF.

John Leuner's paperwork has already been received and processed.  I'm
waiting on Jochen's paperwork before moving forward with the jazzlib
contribution.

> Maybe we can contact the right FSF copyright person and get
> something done so the process becomes easier for new Classpath
> Hackers.

The process is easier these days because contributors no longer have
to print off their own assignments.  Short of using a legally binding
electronic signature, there's not really any way to make the process
easier.  At least in the US, as of about a year ago, electronic
signatures can be legally binding.  At one point in the past, I asked
RMS to look into this, and something might come of it in the future.

Until then, given the nature of copyright law, there's really no way
to make the process of assigning copyright easier -- a physical piece
of paper needs to be signed, sent to the FSF, and then
processed/signed/filed-away at the FSF.