Re: SablePath (was Re: Classpath future?)

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: SablePath (was Re: Classpath future?)
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 23:09:07 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 04:29:53PM -0400, Etienne M. Gagnon wrote:

> This will be my last post about the licensing issue.  As I state below,
> I cannot live with the current practices of the Classpath team (unless
> Mark is not talking in the project name).

No I am not talking in the project name, I am only talking as someone
who has contributed (little patches and a class or two) to the project
and as someone who has his own opinion on the matter.

Please do not make your decision just on what I have said today.
I was trying to get you in the project, if my words have caused you
to decide that you had to leave and fork the project then I was foolish
and I have failed. Maybe I didn't see your problems and objections clearly,
maybe since I am not a native speaker I did not express myself good enough.

Hopefully you saw that several people were willing to discuss and solve
the practical and technical issues. Maybe changing the non-technical issues
will also happen. But that will take more time. I can see that you are
eager to solve all the problems quickly. I really hope you will. But
please give other people on this list a little time to digest everything
you said.

I am very sad that you see me as the reason you had to set up your own
project. I have clearly done or said something wrong. It was never my
intention to drive you (or anybody) away from the Classpath project.
I will reread all the messages and try to learn from it. I also hope that
you can reread the messages that I send and see that what I wanted to
show you is not that things can never ever change and that you should
go away and set up your own sandbox to play in. I hope that you can see
that what I wanted to show you is that there are a lot of issues here
that cannot and will not be changed quickly or easily.

Sincerely,

Stuff to read:
    <http://www.toad.com/gnu/whatswrong.html>
  What's Wrong with Copy Protection, by John Gilmore