Re: Classpath future?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Classpath future?
Date: 12 Jul 2001 21:59:57 -0600

>>>>> "Etienne" == Etienne M Gagnon <address@hidden> writes:

Etienne> Maybe, but Classpath seems to be almost "on hold" while
Etienne> libgcj is going "full steam", or at lest, this is the
Etienne> impression...

I think this is based on a false premise.  The Classpath ChangeLog
entries can be precisely segregated into "gcj hackers" and "Classpath
hackesrs".

The former work mostly on gcj, and most of them did before the
gcj/Classpath merger.  You could view any work they do on Classpath as
a bonus.  For instance, when I work on Classpath, it is generally
secondary to whatever I'm actually doing -- a sad truth.  I like
working on Classpath, but unfortunately Red Hat doesn't schedule me to
work on merging code full time.

The latter group works mostly on Classpath (or perhaps some other
project; I really don't know), and has since before the merger.

Saying that Classpath has stalled in favor of gcj somehow implies that
everybody moved from one to another.  That just isn't true.  Different
people have differing amounts of time and motivation to work on
Classpath.  I think we all want Classpath to be high quality,
complete, etc.

Tom