Re: Browseable CVS

From: Etienne M. Gagnon
Subject: Re: Browseable CVS
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 11:54:50 -0400

Eric Blake wrote:

Unless SourceForge has changed recently, no one but the patch submitter is
notified when a patch is posted (except maybe the project admin).  With
Jikes (which is also hosted on a SourceForge derivative), it is common
practice to post patches online, but the poster is then responsible to mail
the list with a link to the posted patch (this practice cuts down on big
email attachments, but still keeps everyone in the loop).

For my SourceForge projects (SableVM/SableCC) I solved the problem by creating -bugs and -patches mailing lists, and putting the email address of the mailing list in the appropriate "notification" fields on the admin pages. Works like a charm; anybody can decide to monitor new bugs/patches as they want (as they can do for CVS -commits).

Maybe GNU Classpath could do the same (making sure these mailing-lists are closed to submissions by other than the administration software, please!)

Etienne

| Étienne M. Gagnon                    mailto:address@hidden |
| Professeur adjoint            Téléphone: (514) 987-3000 poste 8215 |
| Bureau: PK-4930                        Télécopieur: (514) 987-8477 |
| Département d'informatique, UQÀM          http://www.info.uqam.ca/ |
| Auteur de SableVM                          http://www.sablevm.org/ |
| et de SableCC                              http://www.sablecc.org/ |
| Etienne M. Gagnon                    mailto:address@hidden |
| Assistant Professor                Phone: (514) 987-3000 ext. 8215 |
| Office: PK-4930                                Fax: (514) 987-8477 |
| Department of Computer Science, UQAM      http://www.info.uqam.ca/ |
| Author of SableVM                          http://www.sablevm.org/ |
| and SableCC                                http://www.sablecc.org/ |