Back from vacation/Status (1.4 Throwable and java.util.prefs)

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Back from vacation/Status (1.4 Throwable and java.util.prefs)
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 14:08:32 +0200

Hi,

I am back from vacation (been to America following the Mississipi in a
motorhome. It was a very nice trip. Americans are gentle people and they
all speak English just like in the movies :)

I have to read a month of archives and it seems that a lot has happend in
that month. Here is what I am working on. I hope it doesn't conflict/overlap
with what others are doing. If it does, please yell and scream at me, so we
can merge the efforts.

A month ago I almost had 1.4 Throwable chaining and StackTraceElement working
with gcj. I will try to finish that in the next week. I haven't worked yet on
getting it to work with other VMs. Do we have a list of VMs, what version of
Classpath they work with and some build instructions?

I have a partial implementation of the new 1.4 java.util.prefs package.
It is missing event support and a real backend. There is only a memory based
backend at the moment. I can export and import the preferences to and from
files so it shouldn't be to hard to implement the file based backend. The
only problem with the exporting and importing of the preferences nodes is
that I did a quick hack to write/read the XML format by hand. Since I don't
know XML that well and I do no escaping of CDATA at the moment it breaks as
soon as a key or value contains a ", < or > character. I must look at the
JAXP implementation of the ClasspathX project to see if we can use that.
I will checkin what I have at the moment later today.

Stuff to read:
    <http://www.toad.com/gnu/whatswrong.html>
  What's Wrong with Copy Protection, by John Gilmore