Re: Re (2): testing before a release

From: Etienne M. Gagnon
Subject: Re: Re (2): testing before a release
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 12:02:05 -0500

Hi Mark,

Mark Wielaard wrote:

kaffe org.apache.someprogram.Main

since the Apache license is incompatible with the GPL.  (Note that we don't
even have to bring proprietary software or embedded systems into the
discussion.)  With respect to a Java virtual machine, the application of
the GPL without an exception clause seems to violate my "freedom 0."

You always have that freedom since the GPL explicitly says:
"The act of running the Program is not restricted, and the output from the
Program is covered only if its contents constitute a work based on the
Program".

Your reasoning is wrong here. You can confirm this with RMS (I did). When you launch:

kaffe org.apache.someprogram.Main

This causes the linking of "org.apache.someprogram.Main" with "java.lang.Object" . "Linking" is a modification of the code, and is thus subject to the terms of the GPL.

In other words: think of "kaffe" as if it was "ld". Then you will understand that typing "ld kaffe org.apache.someprogram.Main java.lang.Object" breaks the GPL rules.

In conclusion =>
typing the command kaffe org.apache.someprogram.Main
is not allowed :-(

[This does not mean that Transvirtual will necessarily sue you! But they could if they hate you enough...]

Etienne

--
Etienne M. Gagnon                    http://www.info.uqam.ca/~egagnon/