Re (2): testing before a release

From: reali
Subject: Re (2): testing before a release
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 17:30:05 +0100 (MET)

> I have serious reserves on an interpretation of the GPL that would say that
> it
> is ok to run a graphical proprietary application over a GPL'ed AWT.  I also
> have
> the concern that the GPL on the AWT would impose itself on the underlying VM,
> which in turn would impose the GPL on linked JNI modules.  This would
> invalidate
> my VM's exception for linking proprietary JNI code (and running proprietary
> applications).  It's your choice: you're the copyright holders, but nobody
> has
> to use your code and help you improve it, either.

This sounds very scary to me! If it would be the case, I should seriously
reconsider which libraries to use with my VM, as I'm not 100% sure yet that
I can release it with the GPL (the legal dept. of our university
has to say the last word)

Can anybody prove or reject this assertion?

-Patrik
--
Patrik Reali, address@hidden
http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/reali/