Re: initialization

From: chris.gray
Subject: Re: initialization
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 10:34:49 +0200 (CEST)

On 7 May 2002, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Brian> So I guess the question on my mind is whether any free JVM
> Brian> implements the detailed procedure for initialization outlined
> Brian> in 2.17.5 of the Java Virtual Machine Specification Second
> Brian> Edition.
>
> Unless I'm missing something, gcj does this.
> I'd imagine all VMs, free or not, do the same things here.
> It is fundamental to Java.

Wonka certainly means to do this by the book.  (Although now that I look
at section 2.17.5 of the 2nd Edition, I think we may not comply
completely. Better fix that ...)

Like Tom says, this stuff is fundamental - unfortunately it's also tricky
and fiddly, and changes from one edition to the next. :-(  But if you get
it wrong then your implementation has a bug (maybe a very subtle one).

--

Chris Gray

VM Architect, ACUNIA