Re: PNG support needed?

From: Chris Nokleberg
Subject: Re: PNG support needed?
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 07:53:55 -0700

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 04:43:49PM +0200, Sascha Brawer wrote:
> If people agree that javax.imageio is the way to go, we could ask Chris
> to package the PNG ImageReader as a plug-in according to Sun's "Service
> Provider Interface" (see [2] - [4], and the javax.imageio.spi JavaDoc).
>
> Ideally, Chris could make sure that his/her plug-in gives exactly the
> same results as the PNG implementation in the current JDK.  For image
> metadata, one could e.g. write a test suite that extracts the metadata
> for each image in the PNG test suite. The results then should be
> identical with the GNU and the Sun implementations.

FWIW, I've considered making an adaptor for use with imageio anyway. I
already have code that will generate the metadata. Actually, I'm not
sure we want to to duplicate Sun exactly--I filed a bug regarding
their PNG metadata spec last year, see:

http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4518989.html

There are also some display bugs in their PNG implementation regarding
transparency and/or alpha channels.

I might be able to help on the javax.imageio implementation.

-Chris