Re: I wish to help

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: I wish to help
Date: 03 Nov 2002 21:54:54 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 02:08, Brian Jones wrote:

> So I'm pretty much of the opinion that Classpath's AWT just needs a
> little TLC from someone dedicated to it for a while to make it
> useable.  Having JVMs without major threading issues will aid this
> development.  This is why I would personally develop the peers against
> Sun's VM, if I had the time to devote to it.
>
> Acunia has almost officially made this offer, but because it would be
> unlikely for me to get contributors to assign their copyright on
> changes back to this corporation that may not be so benevolent in the
> future (no guarantees) I'm inclined to believe we must continue
> working on the current implementation.

OK. Agreed (I think, if TLC == Tender Loving Care). Our own AWT classes
and peers are not that far from working anyway. The current thread
problems with Kissme are not that bad. They just don't interact very
well with the latest glibc pthreads. But Stephen Crawley is actively
working on that. It works fine with older glibc versions (< 2.3 I
believe).

> It remains a possibility that if Acunia's current AWT is dual licensed
> in the manner Chris described that parts of this work could be
> integrated as an external library to provide optional functionality in
> Classpath's AWT.

Even though that would not be a long term solution it would still be
nice if someone could set this up so that Rudolph and Classpath could
work out of the box with each other.