Re: Linux Kongress 2003 in Saarbruecken, Germany

From: Michael Hind
Subject: Re: Linux Kongress 2003 in Saarbruecken, Germany
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:29:01 -0400

Sascha Brawer <address@hidden> wrote:
> When it comes to sharing VM internals, I'd be mostly interested about
> some common compiler infrastructure written in Java, such as a framework
> for an Intermediate Representation.  But I guess it would be very hard to
> come to an agreemant about how to do it correctly. It might be easier for
> other parts, such as assemblers.

Although it was designed to be a common infrastructure, the Jikes RVM
optimizing compiler (JIT) is written in Java, so if someone undertakes this
project, they may want to look at it as a basis.

Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> wrote:
> I would like to see talks about:
       . . .

There is an OOPSLA'99 paper that describes this topic, available at (http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/oss/jikesrvm/info/pubs.shtml#oopsla99_jvm)

Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> wrote:
> Seriously. I think GNU Classpath is the boring project. It is what it
> enables people do with it that makes it so exciting! Having people
> create big complex free programs on top of it like Eclipse
> (http://www.eclipse.org/) or XWT (http://www.xwt.org/) is nice. And
> writing application in an easy language for the GNOME framework is
> really productive. And we are also the catalyst for all these cool
> VM/Compiler projects mentioned above. Giving people the freedom to do
> these kinds of innovative things without them being
> controlled/sanctioned by someone is why I think GNU Classpath is
> meaningful.

I agree.

Mucho kudos should go to the GNU Classpath developers.  It has enabled
Jikes RVM to run Eclipse using a completely open source system.

Furthermore, the kudos that the Jikes RVM team regularly receive from our large
community of researchers should transitively be passed on to the GNU Classpath
developers.   Thanks!

Mike

Michael Hind, Manager, Dynamic Optimization Group, JalapeƱo Project
IBM Watson Research Center
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/h/hind
address@hidden, 914 784-7589, tie: 863-7589
Jikes RVM open source release:  http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/oss/jikesrvm