Re: file.encoding property

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: file.encoding property
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:48:48 +0200

Sascha Brawer wrote:
Brian Jones <address@hidden> wrote on Tue, 23 Sep 2003 07:17:07 -0400:

Is there a reason to keep gnu.java.io.{encode,decode}.* around when it
looks like the nio versions could be used?

It probably would make sense to switch to java.nio.charset.

Some of us (Dalibor Topic; Mark Wielaard; Andy Walter; James Hunt; Ingo
Proetel; Sascha Brawer) had discussed this during our meeting at LinuxTag
in Germany.

Quoting from Mark's meeting minutes (http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/
classpath/2003-07/msg00040.html):

The plan for character encodings is to move to the java.nio.charset
interface. We already have required encodings for this. But GNU
Classpath and gcj both still also have their old implementations
(which are actually used in most places). gcj also has a libiconv
provider (but not as java.nio.charset provider). A java.nio.charset
libiconv provider would be nice to have for those systems that
have that library.

So I guess the first step would be to take the libiconv provider and make it work in the nio framework, and then to convert the rest to it as well, before switching, as it would make the switch most painless for the libgcj guys, I guess. For kaffe, switching to Classpath's style charsets also depends on the availability of libiconv based conververters.

cheers,
dalibor topic