Re: file.encoding property

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: file.encoding property
Date: 23 Sep 2003 09:40:41 -0600

David> The EncodingManager expects the system property file.encoding
David> to be set but I couldn't find any indication of who was
David> responsible for setting this property, when and where.

I think the VM must set it during startup.  That's what libgcj does.

Brian> gnu/java/io/EncodingManager uses System.getProperty("file.encoding",
Brian> "8859_1");
Brian> java/net/URLEncoder.java uses System.getProperty("file.encoding",
Brian> "8859_1");
Brian> java/util/logging/XMLFormatter.java uses
Brian> System.getProperty("file.encoding") and later defaults to "UTF-8" if
Brian> null

I wonder if the default setting should be in gnu.classpath.Configuration.

Tom