Re: Patch: logging.properties

From: Sascha Brawer
Subject: Re: Patch: logging.properties
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:09:23 +0100

MK = Michael Koch <address@hidden> wrote:
SB = Sascha Brawer <address@hidden> wrote:

MK> [Patch for adding logging.properties]

SB> If the only purpose of the patch is documentation, it really should have
SB> more verbose comments. I don't think that the proposed patch would
SB> actually help a sysadmin very much. What about the following?
SB>
SB> [New proposal for logging.properties; 1308 characters/37 lines]

MK> Looks great. I will use this. This should go into libgcj too. Will
MK> make sure this.

One possible problem: The logging.properties file will be read whenever
the java.util.logging framework is being used for the first time in a
JVM; it's read by java.util.logging.LogManager.<clinit>, unless some
system properties indicate to use a different file (or configuration via
a custom class).

So, a long config file will slow down the start-up time of every Java
program that uses logging either directly or indirectly. I don't think
the delay would be significant, but I thought I should mention this.

-- Sascha

Sascha Brawer, address@hidden, http://www.dandelis.ch/people/brawer/