RE: Query on stacktrace management logic

From: David Holmes
Subject: RE: Query on stacktrace management logic
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 08:38:13 +1000

Chris Gray wrote:
> I found one gotcha with using a pre-allocated OutOfMemoryError :
> if several threads throw OOME at the same time, the stack traces
> can get mixed up.

This is one of our issues too. With no stacktrace you can share an OOME
instance with no problem and require no runtime allocation. With a
stacktrace you need at least a per-thread OOME and pre-allocated stacktrace
space. As it stands our OOME does have a stacktrace but its created at
system startup when running out of memory is not an issue - but of course
the stacktrace is meaningless for any actual circumstance where the OOME is
thrown.

We encounter OOME much more often than others might because we are dealing
with RTSJ scoped memory areas - which introduces some added twists to
things. :)

David Holmes