RE: Query on stacktrace management logic

From: David Holmes
Subject: RE: Query on stacktrace management logic
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 08:13:47 +1000

> David Holmes wrote:
> > class Class is the first class that must be initialized [...]

Jeroen Frijters replied:
> Given the wide variety of VMs that use Classpath, I'd be careful with
> statements like these. For almost every such assumption there will be a
> VM for which it isn't true.

I meant in a JLS sense. Before you can initialize any class you must have a
Class instance. Before you can have an instance of any class the class must
be initialized. Therefore before you can initialize any class you must have
initialized class Class.

Of course each VM will do its own contorted bootstrapping to effect the
above, but putting static initialization into class Class certainly doesn't
help. In particular now there is the Class/VMClass split there's an
implication that VM's shouldn't need to customise Class - but the static
initialization issue would thwart that in many cases.

As previously mentioned I think VMClass would be better defined as a helper
with static methods rather than a shadow object attached to each Class
instance.

Just my 25c.

Cheers,
David Holmes