Re: plans for classpath 0.08?

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: plans for classpath 0.08?
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 11:39:25 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 09:25, Grzegorz B. Prokopski wrote:
> W liƛcie z wto, 02-03-2004, godz. 15:27, Mark Wielaard pisze:
> > - make distcheck was broken because of newer tar versions.
> >   (Grzegorz found out what precisely went wrong so we can now fix this.)
>
> I am not sure about it. I filled a bugreport for automake as Tom
> requested, but in fact we need to wait for new _automake_ that has
> it fixed. Or if Tom had a patch - we could at least ask Debian
> automake maintainer to apply it quickly.

Just read the 'Making tar Archives More Portable' chapter from GNU tar.
This is a bit of a mess :{ The obvious 'fix' for Automake, use --posix
also doesn't seem to be a real solution since that means that older
versions of GNU tar won't be able to read it. But it is a long and
confusing chapter, hopefully the Automake maintainers have more insight
into these issues. Let me know when/if they reply.

> I understood that it cannot be effectively fixed in classpath sources.
> I think the best workaround to create "dist" tar.gz is like previously
> - just use the old version of tar.

Seems like that is the way to go for this release. And then place a big
WARNING in the README/NEWS for people wanting to recreate the dist
tar.gz file or run make distcheck.

Thanks,