user.timezone property

From: Steven Augart
Subject: user.timezone property
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 00:11:11 -0500

I've noticed that more than one VM defines a user.timezone property.

Does anyone know where this is officially documented? The string "user.timezone" does not appear anywhere in the Sun 1.4.2 API specification.

I'm not sure whether we need to provide it, and if so, what the format should be for it.

It seems to me that, if someone wanted the name of the current time zone, the best thing to do would be to call java.util.TimeZone.getDefault().getDisplayName().

Maybe we don't need user.timezone? Does anyone know of any programs that actually use it?

In Jikes RVM, we can't call kava.util.TimeZone.getDefault().getDisplayName() from VMRuntime.insertSystemProperties() --- it's too early in the boot sequence. I can, of course, add special code later on in the boot sequence to initialize user.timezone, but I don't want to make the booting process more complicated if it's not going to serve a useful purpose.

--Steve Augart

--
Steven Augart

Jikes RVM, open source Research Virtual Machine:
http://oss.software.ibm.com/jikesrvm

Office: +1 914/784-6743
T.J. Watson Research Center, IBM