Re: user.timezone property

From: Steven Augart
Subject: Re: user.timezone property
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 06:32:31 -0500

David Holmes wrote:
[...]
I fill in user.timezone during insertSystemProperties at the same time as
all the other dynamic properties that have to be obtained from the OS: file
encoding, user name, os name, current dir etc etc.

Jikes RVM sets those in "runrvm", a shell script that calls the actual C executable.

[....]
The native code with classpath seems to have a bug in it though because it
ignores tzname[1] when it is different to tzname[0] rather than when it is
the same.

Yes, I see it too. I should get the rest of my night's sleep and then think about a test case to manifest the problem.

[....]
My feeling is that user.timezone is not a property that is filled in for use
by application code, but rather for one part of the VM to communicate
indirectly with another part.

This makes sense, yes. Now I know why I want to set it; my test program that calls TimeZone.getDefault().getDisplayName() always prints "Greenwich Mean Time" if I don't.

--
Steven Augart

Jikes RVM, open source Research Virtual Machine:
http://oss.software.ibm.com/jikesrvm

Office: +1 914/784-6743
T.J. Watson Research Center, IBM