Re: JDK 1.5 support?

From: Bryce McKinlay
Subject: Re: JDK 1.5 support?
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 18:50:51 -0400

Tom Tromey wrote:

Andrew> The hardest thing would seem to be the generics (Java's
Andrew> templates -- is it or me or does it seem strange that Java
Andrew> 1.5/5.0 is basically bringing back in lots of C++ features,
Andrew> mainly as a result of C# having them?).

I think there's no question that Java is being strongly influenced by
C#.

For what its worth, C# currently doesn't have generics (or templates), and generics for Java were in development long before anyone had heard of C#, so this isn't a case of Java copying C# features. That isn't to say I don't think cherry-picking a few more features from C# wouldn't be a good idea, of course ;-)

Regards

Bryce