Re: [Classpathx-discuss] More Java Extensions

From: Artur Biesiadowski
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] More Java Extensions
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 17:26:15 +0200

Dalibor Topic wrote:

Regarding legal things, java3d seems to be covered by some patents. See http://www.3dcompression.com/patents.phtml for details. I have no idea how important 3d compression is for Java3d, but since you asked ;)

It is not important. While you won't be able to build full implementation of java3d without it, I still have to see even one program to use it. Idea behind compression was to have specialized GPU capable to understanding it directly, to conserve bus bandwidth. Sun has built one or two such cards and that's it - using compressed geometry without hardware acceleration is just going to be a slower than normal one.

As for the 'free' implementation of java3d, xith3d is probably a good place to start. It has most of java3d features implemented already, at least as far as desktop targets are concerned. For the vecmath, Kenji's version can be used. java3d-util package is available under free license from sun.

There is for sure certain amount of work to be done to allow xith3d to be used in place of java3d for LG - but it should be possible to manage.

Artur