Re: GNU Classpath 0.12, ..., 1.0

From: Grzegorz B. Prokopski
Subject: Re: GNU Classpath 0.12, ..., 1.0
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:00:26 -0500

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 16:15, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> We do now have a few small regressions however. There is something wrong
> with zip/jar archives on the classpath (this might or might not be a GNU
> Classpath issue, we changed the VM interface subtly so maybe it is a
> runtime issue). Opening a JarFile with 'verify' set to false  breaks
> (and is not thread-safe) [I have a fix for that].

I've been merging latest GNU CP CVS into SableVM's "staging" branch.
Previously we used gnu.java.lang.SystemClassLoader, but after reading
"Java Security" I realized we should be using URLClassLoader! (and was
going to look into fixing that anyway) So I am quite happy with the
changes in ClassLoader, which make us use the proper URLClassLoader.

I like it, altough I only ran simple HelloWorld, because running
a program that requires i.e. ressources (loaded from .jar) gives me:

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
   at java.lang.Class.initialize (Class.java:159)
   at gnu.regexp.RESyntax.static{} (RESyntax.java:57)
   at java.lang.VMClass.step8 (VMClass.java)
   at java.lang.Class.initialize (Class.java:145)
   at java.util.regex.Pattern.Pattern (Pattern.java:88)
   at java.util.regex.Pattern.compile (Pattern.java:144)
   at java.util.regex.Pattern.compile (Pattern.java:126)
   at java.lang.String.split (String.java:1237)
   at HelloResources.main (HelloResources.java:7)
   at java.lang.VirtualMachine.invokeMain (VirtualMachine.java)
   at java.lang.VirtualMachine.main (VirtualMachine.java:92)
   at java.util.jar.JarFile.getInputStream (JarFile.java:458)
   at gnu.java.net.protocol.jar.Connection.getInputStream
(Connection.java:163)
   at java.net.URL.openStream (URL.java:683)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.getSystemResourceAsStream
(ClassLoader.java:932)
   at java.util.ResourceBundle.tryBundle (ResourceBundle.java:529)
   at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle (ResourceBundle.java:414)
   at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle (ResourceBundle.java:287)
   at gnu.regexp.RE.static{} (RE.java:126)
   at java.lang.VMClass.step8 (VMClass.java)
   at java.lang.Class.initialize (Class.java:145)
   ...10 more

So, if you have a fix for that, could you please post it or check in?
Robilad told me he has the same kind of issue with Kaffe as we have with
SableVM after the merge.

Thanks,

                        Grzegorz B. Prokopski

--