Re: What are tainted developers allowed to work on?

From: Chris Gray
Subject: Re: What are tainted developers allowed to work on?
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:43:04 +0100

On Monday 10 January 2005 17:11, Dalibor Topic wrote:

> I guess you'll be going for the 1.5 TCK scholarship as well? Or are
> there other Java-whatever-edition versions that Sun has started removing
> their legal cruft to allow compatible open source implementations?
> Afaik, with the TCKs <1.5 the problem was that Sun tied in a lot of SCSL
> covered code in the TCK package, requiring implementations to propagate
> it, thereby killing any chance of an implementation being compatible
> with their test suite and open source at the same time.

That's where the fun begins. :-) What I would really want would be J2ME CDC
certification, and that's a whole different bunch of fish.

> > In the meantime I did manage to elicit this statement from a Sun
> > engineer, while talking about something other than JCK:
> >
> > [...]
>
> That sounds like an attempt at 'Carrot And Stick'. :)
>
> I doubt that Sun running amok in SCO style would make a lot of sense.

Indeed it wouldn't. They made similar noises at Acunia when they heard that
Wonka was going to be open-sourced (not before), and we just ignored them.
(for the Dutch speakers, we "did as if our nose were bleeding").

Sun can exert a lot of pressure on commercial J*v* vendors though, which is
why so many vendors of indepently developed VMs have ended up becoming
licensees.

> People wanting their implementations to be compatible with Sun is a
> no-brainer, even without a stick, as otherwise one couldn't run the
> existing code out there.
>
> > [...] the rest of us might [...]
> > think you were working on a runtime for Ada or Occam or something.
>
> I'll add those to my list of code to merge into Kaffe, thanks :)

Then all we need is an Ada- or Occam-to -j*av*-bytecode compiler. :)

Chris Gray                      /k/ Embedded Java Solutions
Embedded & Mobile Java, OSGi        http://www.kiffer.be/k/
address@hidden                         +32 3 216 0369

Visit us at Embedded World 2005 <http://www.embedded-world.de/>
22--24 Feb. 2005 at the Nürnberg Messe (Germany), booth 10-504