Re: What are tainted developers allowed to work on?

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: What are tainted developers allowed to work on?
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:58:27 +0000

Chris Gray <address@hidden> writes:

> On Monday 10 January 2005 22:09, Nic Ferrier wrote:
>
>> I think the story about the Sun engineer is either mistaken somewhere
>> or is from a Sun  engineer with no understanding of (c). I doubt it's
>> someone very senior.
>
> It's not mistaken, it's cut and pasted directly from my in tray to my mail
> composer - you can come here and take a look if you like. Indeed I don't
> think the author is very senior (that's why I just called him "a Sun
> engineer"), but I think he's repeating the official Sun line. Some senior
> figures may be flirting with more advanced ideas, but if you work at Sun and
> you call their legal dept. that's what they'll tell you to say.
>
> When I first read it I felt like getting T-shirts made with "Java is a
> proprietary language" on the front and that e-mail on the back, but on
> reflection I think I'll just get on with my life. :)

Yes. Crazy stuff.

My point was that it's nonsense. I don't believe the spec is Sun's IP
because they've published it widely and I've never seen any IP claim
on the spec.

Unless the engineer was talking about some other spec that has not
been widely published.

Whatever, as you say... not worth losing sleep over.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk