Re: GdkGraphics extending Graphics2D?

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: GdkGraphics extending Graphics2D?
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 16:20:58 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 14:12 +0000, S. Meslin-Weber wrote:
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=12211
>
> Namely, should GdkGraphics extend Graphics (as it does now) or
> Graphics2D?

I added the following response to that bug report:

        Use of Graphics2D is only supported when GNU Classpath has been
        configured with --enable-gtk-cairo (which is not the default at
        the moment) and you run your program with the system property
        gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.Graphics=Graphics2D set. The cairo based
        Graphics2D is still experimental.

        You should test if support for Graphics2D is available before
        blindly casting.

> I propose that GdkGraphics be made to extend Graphics2D with dreaded
> stub methods to make it behave like a standard Graphics instance.

Please no stub methods ever again!

You are free to add real support for the new Graphic2D methods to
GdkGraphics which will certainly help lots of people who are not able to
use the cairo based Graphics2D implementation at the moment. But since
we expect the next version of gtk+ to be based on cairo I think we
should spend most energy in finishing/bugfixing the current
GdkGraphics2D implementation.

One other thing you might want to look at then is how to support
BufferedImage with it. Currently BufferedImages can only really be used
with the cairo based Graphics2D implementation.