RE: japi and public references to non-public types

From: Jeroen Frijters
Subject: RE: japi and public references to non-public types
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 15:54:42 +0200

Stuart Ballard wrote:
> > [1] One example I can think of is the non-constant serialVersionUID
> > fields in some classes (that compute their serialVersionUID based on
> > some runtime setting or such)
>
> Why would we get japi failures here? As long as we do the same thing
> the JDK does, japi won't report any errors. This is already the way it
> works (although I'm thinking about making the error message more
> accurate; right now it will say "serialVersionUID=0" which isn't quite
> true).

I misremembered. It may have been an IKVM specific thing (where ikvmstub
was using reflection to get the value of serialVersionUID and thus it
reported the runtime value).

> Honestly, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't get to zero japi
> errors;

Possibly. Maybe we can use annotations (in the -- hopefully near --
future) to mark code that differs from Sun for a valid reason?

Regards,
Jeroen