classpathx-discuss

[Classpathx-discuss] Licences

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: [Classpathx-discuss] Licences
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 12:40:26 +0100

I know, I know...

It has been brought to my attention that the LGPL and the GPL are
excluding some users of Classpathx code.

I would like to ask all the developers if they would mind licencing
their code under the "Classpath" licence.

The Classpath-licence is the GPL+an exception allowing linking to
non-free code without infection.

Apparently, this is not the same to the LGPL.

>From what I know of Classpathx developers they are only concerned
that their code be free and free as defined by the FSF.

The Classpath licence is approved by the FSF, they use it for all the
Classpath and GCC code.

Dual licencing of code is something we can do if people have a
problem with just using the Classpath licence, for example if you want
to continue licencing your bit of Classpathx under the LGPL but agree
to licence under the Classpath-licence as well.

Any views?

Nic