classpathx-discuss

[Classpathx-discuss] Finally! Crypto make build

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: [Classpathx-discuss] Finally! Crypto make build
Date: 17 Apr 2002 11:54:50 +0100

Apologies to everyone who helped with crypto stuff. You've been waiting
for me to release it and I haven't because we didn't have a GNU
build.

I now have an answer to the build problem. It's a shell script called
automakejar and it should work on a CYGWIN system (or anything with
sh, sed and make so the UnxUtils should work as well).

I have put a tar of my current crypto module on the classpathx ftp
directory:

  ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/classpathx/crypto-build-demo.tar.gz

You can build it by doing the following:

  $ autoconf
  $ aclocal
  $ ./automakejar Makefile.in
  $ ./configure
  $ make

You will need autoconf 2.52 because previous versions do not support
the inclusion of local macros in the same way.

I'm sure this could be done with automake, however there are some
problems with automake. It is not as easy to get the new and old
versions of automake running on the same system as it is to do the
same with autoconf (I have 2.13 and 2.52 on this box quite happily
but can only run automake 1.15).

And with automake one tends to produce something that doesn't do
dependancies in the same nice way that automakejar does.

I hope that automakejar will eventually disappear and that we'll get
the functionality that it supports into automake (by extending
automake if we have to).

But for now it seems to me that automakejar is a pretty neat solution.

What do you think? Should I check these changes in?

Nic

PS if you're interested, you can get UnxUtils here:
  http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/