classpathx-javamail

Re: [Classpathx-javamail] LGPL replaced by GPL-with-exception

From: Nic
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-javamail] LGPL replaced by GPL-with-exception
Date: 09 Sep 2003 22:59:31 +0100

"Doug Porter" <address@hidden> writes:

> Out of curiosity what if the code isn't distributed? In other words, if
> it is only used in house? Most people seem to interpret gpl to mean that
> if you don't distribute the software, that you can use gpl code as you
> want. So what's the point of the "exception"?

The exception allows linking to anything. Not just GPLed code.

The LGPL has some complications in this area (don't ask me, I'm not a
lawyer).

The exception licence is used for Guile for the same reason. It was
invented for Cygnus who wanted to provide stuff commercially but keep
the source free.

Do let me know if it causes you a problem.

Nic