classpathx-javamail

[Classpathx-javamail] Concurrency debugging

From: Doug Porter
Subject: [Classpathx-javamail] Concurrency debugging
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 02:39:47 -0800

There's no debugger available that can handle threads well. The only way
to debug concurrent sessions, as far as I know, is through logging with
timestamps and thread ids. We need this functionality badly. Before we
had it, javamail didn't work well with multiple sessions on a busy
machine. Now it does.

Chris rejected the recent changes supporting this logging. His excuse was
that we couldn't put it in Session.java because "it changes the published
javamail api". From the comments in the code:

  /**
   * These debugging methods are in the Session class because it
   * already has the setDebug and getDebug methods, and interprets the
   * mail.debug property. But it may make sense to put them in their own
   * class.
   */

Obviously it doesn't matter where the support goes. It's the
functionality that's important.

The same functionality was earlier submitted as a patch for
POP3Connection.java. There's no published spec for that one, so the same
excuse wouldn't work. Chris simply rejected it silently.

Are we dealing with a bad case of Not-invented-here syndrome?

Doug
--
  Doug Porter
  address@hidden