classpathx-xml

Re: [Classpathx-xml] Re: [dom4j-dev] GNU JAXP license violation

From: David Brownell
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-xml] Re: [dom4j-dev] GNU JAXP license violation
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 21:14:56 -0700

On Thursday 04 November 2004 12:37, Paul Libbrecht wrote:
> Gee, that tastes quite ugly.
>
> AElfred has been under public-domain originally... and now there is be
> a revision that would be under a way more restricted, namely, under GPL
> !?

Hey, if YOU take a bunch of not-very-conformant and old code
and rework it substantially to conform to all then-current
standards, speeding it up and shrinking it considerably, then
you'd get to make the choice of license on your changes too.

Please stop spreading FUD by the way:  the license in question
has never been literally "GPL".  Though now that FSF has the
copyright on my updates, ClasspathX could choose that one.

> How about trying the AElfred version including in the Open-Source Saxon
> 6 (and maybe the open-source part of saxon >= 7). Modifications were
> under Mozilla Public License which I find more comfortable to work
> with...

Hmm, the last time I looked at SAXON it included my version,
so it couldn't legally be relicensed under MPL.

- Dave