classpathx-xml

Re: [Classpathx-xml] Re: [dom4j-dev] GNU JAXP license violation

From: Paul Libbrecht
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-xml] Re: [dom4j-dev] GNU JAXP license violation
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 09:46:18 +0100

Le 5 nov. 04, à 05:14, David Brownell a écrit :

AElfred has been under public-domain originally... and now there is be
a revision that would be under a way more restricted, namely, under GPL
!?
Hey, if YOU take a bunch of not-very-conformant and old code
and rework it substantially to conform to all then-current
standards, speeding it up and shrinking it considerably, then
you'd get to make the choice of license on your changes too.

Sure... to me the problem is only about the leap between "public-domain" and GPL... it's like going to prison... (but I know FSF people would say it differently!).

Please stop spreading FUD by the way:  the license in question
has never been literally "GPL".  Though now that FSF has the
copyright on my updates, ClasspathX could choose that one.

Can you then clarify ?

How about trying the AElfred version including in the Open-Source Saxon
6 (and maybe the open-source part of saxon >= 7). Modifications were
under Mozilla Public License which I find more comfortable to work
with...
Hmm, the last time I looked at SAXON it included my version,
so it couldn't legally be relicensed under MPL.

Well, of course, I didn't check version differences but the web-page stated that it was based on the public-domain AElfred followed by adaptations to make it namespace aware. The latter adaptations were under MPL and he kept the public-domain for the original, he could have put it entirely under MPL, as I understand.

paul