Re: df and mount: too much noise

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: df and mount: too much noise
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 17:51:15 -0500

Hello Breno,

On 11/18/2016 05:25 PM, Breno Leitao wrote:
[...]
I am missing (or I do not found), a single command that dumps only
disks/partition mounts. The same thing for 'df'.
[...]
1) I am facing a real problem? Was it discussed already?

2) If this is a real problem, should it be addressed on coreutils or on
the higher layers?

coreutils's "df" supports "-x/--exclude-type" option that might help.

For example, the following will cause 'df' to skip tmpfs and devtmpfs
filesystems, and also show only local systems (e.g. skip NFS):

     df -l -x tmpfs -x devtmpfs

You can adjust it to your liking with more "-x" options.

Creating an alias is an easy way to have a way to display only information you
use frequently:

    alias mydf='df -l -x tmpfs -x devtmpfs'

"mount" is not part of coreutils, but of util-linux (
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/utils/util-linux/util-linux.git ).
With the proliferation of filesystem types and mount types (e.g. bind-mounts), it's worth
mentioning "findmnt" (also from util-linux) that can provide additional
information.

regards,
 - assaf