Re: df and mount: too much noise

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: df and mount: too much noise
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 00:57:14 +0000

On 19/11/16 20:34, Breno Leitao wrote:
> Hi Padraig,
>
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 11:52:26PM +0000, Pádraig Brady wrote:
>> df defaults to listing file systems that have storage associated with them
>> be that RAM or disk, or whatever.
>>
>> It elides "dummy" file systems by default.
>> I.E. file systems without associated storage.
>> (Note tmpfs has storage associated).
>
> What is considered a storage in this case? I am wondering if udev could
> be considered a storage also.

Whether it consumes storage in the memory hierarchy.
There may very well be new file systems that we should add
to the dummy list. Could you send a listing of `df -T`
on your system?

> Would a patch that add an option to just display "disk storage" (hard
> disks, USB, CDs, etc) have chance to be accepted?

We currently support {ex,in}cluding file system types.
Given the changing nature of the memory hierarchy
it would be awkward to support grouping those.

thanks,
Pádraig