dazuko-devel

[Dazuko-devel] Dazuko 2.0.0-pre5 posted

From: John Ogness
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] Dazuko 2.0.0-pre5 posted
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 13:40:24 +0100

Hi,

I have just posted the next pre-release of Dazuko 2.0.0. This release has been *very* delayed. The two main reasons: Linux 2.6 became official and Savannah was shut down. However, 2.0.0 continues to be improved. I am hoping for a January release.

Here's the CHANGELOG for the new pre-release:

2.0.0-pre5
- added much more functionality to the configure script
- fixed "in use" problems with spontaneous context-switches when unloading under FreeBSD
- added macros for hooking/unhooking system calls
- removed filename length restrictions
- renamed the devfs define
- abstracted code for generating protocol13
- moved code for generating protocol13 into XP layer
- added support for filenames with non-printable characters
- fixed compiler warnings when compiling the interface
- added ability to compile interface library without 1.x compatibility
- removed CHANGES file (it was very poorly maintained)
- fixed "off by one" bug when calculating include/exclude path lengths
- added support for Linux 2.6 kernels (not yet complete, but very functional)

That's a lot of new stuff. Probably the most interesting is the last item... Linux 2.6 support! Rather than "porting" the Linux 2.2/2.4 extension to the 2.6 kernel, I made a completely new extension. This turned out to be quite easy. In order for it to work, you will need to configure your kernel with security turned on (CONFIG_SECURITY). I left all the sub-options for security disabled.

Right now only non-chroot'd OPEN calls are supported under Linux 2.6. Supporting the other features are technically very easy, but I am going to be taking a break for a week, so I thought I should publish this version first.

There have been many important bugfixes in the the 2.0 branch. The new design is so much easier than the old 1.x stuff. Although 1.2.2 is labeled as the most stable current version, I strong recommend using the latest 2.0 pre-release. This is not to say that 1.2.2 is garbage, but the 2.0 provides many new features and has been very heavily tested and shown to perform excellent.

After 2.0.0 officially comes out, I will be releasing a 1.2.3 version, which will incorporate all the little bugfixes from the 2.0 branch but no new features. I want to retire the 1.x branch with a very stable version.

Thanks to everyone who sent in patches and ideas for the Linux 2.6 version. I think even Linus will be happy with Dazuko 2.0 once it is released. ;)

Happy Holidays!

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer